Sunday, August 12, 2007

P'shutim - Shadchanim

This is something that has been bothering me for a while and finally I have forced myself to write about it. SHADCHANIM!!. Now I am going to preface my 'rant' with - There are many well meaning individuals out there who sincerely feel for those they set up and truly have the best interest of both parties involved. To these people I say you are doing a great service for the general Khal and Hkb"h should give you the strength to continue and reward you for your efforts. Like we say every week "kol me shaoisek b'tzarchei tzibur be'munah' etc.
THEN we have the others the ones that are to busy thinking about how much money they can get if the shidduch goes through and leave out or misconstrue pertinent information. OR even if they aren't thinking about the money, they feel they just 'have' to make shiduchim because hey that the 'in thing' to do today. Everyone is doing it - what will I say when the Yenta's ask me sooooo how many shiduchim have you made?? in reality they are both wasting the guys and the girls money and many times causing serious emotional stress. Now you tell me what am i talking about how much money can they spend on one date ? let them go out once we'll see what happens .... well some examples.............................................. I have a friend who comes from 'out of town' when ever he dates he must rent a car so before the date starts he's down at least $50 - now he's in school (paying for it by himself I believe) and $50 isn't pocket change. Well one well meaning shadchan set him up with a girl and told him the girl was a number of years younger then she really was - she was really many years older then him ! (I don't want to go into if this alone is a reason to break up or not but it would have been nice to know the truth !!! )..............
Next ..... I know a girl who we will say is what people would call very "beis yaakov'ey " . Meaning she's very frum very into spirituality always running to shiurim, (not that you must be in beis yaakov to be frum I'm just using terms that I believe are used in the 'shidduch world'). Well comes along another 'well meaning' individual and sets her up with a guy - sounds good the "shadchan" is a well respected 'rebetzen' so they trust her judgement, anyway as the date progresses she begins to realize he might not be exactly on the level of frumkeit she expected - the clincher was when he commented (very seriously I might add) that he puts teffilin on EVERY day ! She looked at him dumbfounded, I should be impressed you put on tefillin ? anyway they obviously didn't go out again - but when the shadchan was approached as to what she was thinking she said "well I thought you would make him your project and make him more frum"!!! DON'T YOU JUST WANT TO PUKE !!!!! (Sorry getting a little upset) , are people really brain dead - these are just 2 examples there are countless more {I like the one (that I can now verify actually happened) that a women hung up on a prospective shadchan after being asked the girls bra size!! ... really happened}. Recently someone came up with the idea they should offer more money for shadchanim I think this is ludicrous ! If you want to cut the costs at a wedding one of the first things to go should be the exorbitant fees some of these shadchanim charge. I believe Rabbanim should stress the great zchus to bring two people together (that is what Hkb"h does acc. to the midrash 'yoshev u'mezaveag zivugim') and at the same time stress the importance that the shiduch should make sense that people should seem compatible , why waste peoples time and money? ? ? Why? why? why?...........

3 Comments:

At August 28, 2007 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bra size! wow! i never thought of asking that, i will have to add it to the list.

 
At August 29, 2007 1:25 AM, Blogger D'varim P'shutim said...

L.S. welcome to the blog- thanks for stopping bye ,,,,

 
At January 02, 2008 5:15 AM, Blogger הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

Ah, the Ultra-Orthodox Eastern European Jews again you say? I hear way too much about them...all I can say is G-d have mercy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home